History of Northeast Lansing

The First Ward is the northeast quadrant of Lansing. It contains the major rail lines north and south and was the home to a lot of lumber and industry in early years. The State Industrial School for Boys was located on the east side, and anyone looking to visit Michigan State University from downtown Lansing would travel along Michigan Avenue through the First Ward all the way over to campus. Eastern High School, Sparrow Hospital, the Lugnuts stadium, and the former Motor Wheel buildings are some of the many landmarks in this ward.

Compiled by Heidi Butler, Local History Specialist, Capital Area District Library Downtown Branch

Sources:

Bowman, Timothy. City Council Members Project. 2013. Research Collections, Forest Parke Library and Archives, Capital Area District Libraries.

Caterino, David. 6 Wards in Use, 1900-1916 [map]. N.D. Subject Files, Forest Parke Library and Archives, Capital Area District Libraries.

Caterino, David. “8 Wards in Use, 1917- [map].” N.D. N.D. Subject Files, Forest Parke Library and Archives, Capital Area District Libraries.

City Clerk’s Office. “Lansing Annexations to 1958 [map].” 1958. N.D. Subject Files, Forest Parke Library and Archives, Capital Area District Libraries.

City of Lansing. Proposed City Charter. 1955.

City of Lansing. “Ward, Precinct, and Poll Map.” 2015. PDF file. https://www.lansingmi.gov/DocumentCenter/View/187

The Lansing Ward History Project Resident Historian Research
  1. Eric's Markett by Heather Goupil

    Located at the intersection of North Pennsylvania and East Oakland (formerly Sheridan), the market has served as a Mom & Pop-style grocery for nearly 100 years. Read on...
View All