History of Southeast Lansing

The 2nd ward is the city’s southeast side. The first band of property along the city’s south side to be annexed in was added in 1917 and went as far south as Cavanaugh Road. A very large addition going as far south as Jolly was made in 1949. Highlights of the Second Ward include Ingham County facilities on South Cedar Street, the Red Cedar River and Sycamore Creek, Mt. Hope Cemetery, Hawk Island and Scott Woods Parks. Much of the property used by Michigan State University for agricultural education and research is just to the east of this ward.

Compiled by Heidi Bulter, Local History Specialist, Capital Area District Library Downtown Branch

Sources:

Bowman, Timothy. City Council Members Project. 2013. Research Collections, Forest Parke Library and Archives, Capital Area District Libraries.

Caterino, David. 6 Wards in Use, 1900-1916 [map]. N.D. Subject Files, Forest Parke Library and Archives, Capital Area District Libraries.

Caterino, David. “8 Wards in Use, 1917- [map].” N.D. N.D. Subject Files, Forest Parke Library and Archives, Capital Area District Libraries.

City Clerk’s Office. “Lansing Annexations to 1958 [map].” 1958. N.D. Subject Files, Forest Parke Library and Archives, Capital Area District Libraries.

City of Lansing. Proposed City Charter. 1955.

City of Lansing. “Ward, Precinct, and Poll Map.” 2015. PDF file. https://www.lansingmi.gov/DocumentCenter/View/187


The Lansing Ward History Project Resident Historian Research