History of Southwest Lansing

Lansing’s Third Ward is the southwest side of Lansing and contains many areas that did not become part of the city limits until the 1950s or later. South Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard and Pleasant Grove Road are major north-south thoroughfares of this ward. It includes newer shopping and entertainment such as the Edgewood Towne Center. The Southside Community Center and Benjamin F. Davis Park are some of the larger city facilities in this ward.

Compiled by Heidi Butler, Local History Specialist, Capital Area District Library Downtown Branch

Sources:

Bowman, Timothy. City Council Members Project. 2013. Research Collections, Forest Parke Library and Archives, Capital Area District Libraries.

Caterino, David. 6 Wards in Use, 1900-1916 [map]. N.D. Subject Files, Forest Parke Library and Archives, Capital Area District Libraries.

Caterino, David. “8 Wards in Use, 1917- [map].” N.D. N.D. Subject Files, Forest Parke Library and Archives, Capital Area District Libraries.

City Clerk’s Office. “Lansing Annexations to 1958 [map].” 1958. N.D. Subject Files, Forest Parke Library and Archives, Capital Area District Libraries.

City of Lansing. Proposed City Charter. 1955.

City of Lansing. “Ward, Precinct, and Poll Map.” 2015. PDF file. https://www.lansingmi.gov/DocumentCenter/View/187


The Lansing Ward History Project Resident Historian Research

  1. Waverly Park

    It was the first amusement park in the city, and featured a 31-room resort hotel, rides, and even a black bear and alligator. Read on...
View All