Civic organizations are primarily place based organizations that serve a smaller defined area of the City of Lansing. Organizations, while representing unique interests and participating in various social activities, generally focus their efforts in a specific portion of the community but also represent a broad range of stakeholders. The organization must be registered as a non-profit entity with the State of Michigan, or, if not registered, organized as an entity or association with a written Charter or Articles of Organization (or bylaws) that state its purpose; subject to review by the Department of Neighborhoods and Citizen Engagement.
Decisions about the eligibility of an organization are at the prevue of the City of Lansing’s Department of Neighborhoods & Citizen Engagement with the advisement of the Neighborhood Advisory Board.
If your civic organization is not registered, you can do so at here. Neighborhood organizations, associations and watches are the preferred grant recipients. All projects must impact a neighborhood in the City of Lansing.
- Projects of all sizes up to $5,000 will be considered to receive funding.
- Organizations may apply for more than one project.
- Applicants should complete separate applications for each project.
- Applicants must indicate which project is their top priority on their application.
- Funds cannot be spent on commercial, private, or rental properties; gift cards; political, religious, or satanic items; alcohol, tobacco, fireworks, marijuana, illegal substances, or firearms.
- Funds should not be spent on labor. Labor consists of, but is not limited to, wages for labor, entertainment fees, honorarium, or travel. Neighborhood volunteer and in-kind contributions should be sought for projects. Some exceptions for technical work will be considered. Projects that require special equipment (i.e. licensed operation services) will be considered.
- All activities must take place inside the City of Lansing.
Direct all questions to:
Department of Neighborhoods and Citizen Engagement
200 N Foster Ave Room 205 Lansing, MI 48912
Forms & Resources
Additional Program Applications:
Walking Wednesday 2020 Application
Neighborhoods In Bloom 2020 Application
BWL Tree Planting Program 2020 Application
Neighborhood Clean Ups 2020 Application
Zoo in Your Neighborhood 2020 Application
A Final Report showing all expenditures is due by Friday, September 27, 2019, or at the end of the extension date which should include all original receipts showing expenses.