News Flash

Home

1 Story
Posted on: August 21, 2017

Welcome

DNCE Logo

Welcome to the City of Lansing Neighborhood Website!

 

The City of Lansing is excited to launch our new Neighborhoods website. Here citizens will find comprehensive information about living in Lansing. Whether you are a new resident or longtime nei...

Read on...

Home

News Flash

News Flash

Posted on: January 22, 2019

Lansing Drive-In Theater by Jackie Brandonisio

Drive in theater

Lansing Drive-In Theater

Located at 5509 S. Cedar St. Lansing, MI

Ward 2 (Southeast)

Ward Historian:  Jackie Brandonisio

Lansing Drive-In Theater held its grand opening on May 29th, 1948, with a ticket costing 60

cents, and free admission for children...

Read on...

Neighborhood Stories: 2nd Ward

News Flash

News Flash

News Flash

Posted on: August 8, 2018

Eric's Markett by Heather Goupil

Location: 838 North Pennsylvania Avenue

Ward: 1

Resident Historian: Heather Goupil

Located at the intersection of North Pennsylvania and East Oakland (formerly Sheridan), the market has served as a Mom & Pop-style grocery for nearly 100 years, continuous...

Read on...

The Lansing Ward History Project: 1st Ward

News Flash

News Flash

Posted on: November 1, 2018

Malcolm X in Lansing by Winnie Kamindo

Location: 4705 Logan Street, 401 Charles Street, and an unknown location in the 4th Ward

Ward: 3

Resident Historian: Winnie Kamindo

1929: Malcolm X’s First Home In Lansing (Ward 4-43) In 1929, Earl Little, father of Malcolm X, moved his fa...

Read on...

The Lansing Ward History Project: 3rd Ward

News Flash

Posted on: May 23, 2019

Hall of Justice

HallofJustice-CourtesyMichiganSupremeCourt-w

The Hall of Justice, dedicated in 2002, is headquarters for the state’s judicial branch of government. It houses court offices and courtrooms for the Michigan Supreme Court and Court of Appeals. Built of limestone and capped by a glass dome, the...

Read on...

The Lansing Ward History Project: 4th Ward
Posted on: May 23, 2019

St. Mary Cathedral

St Mary Cathedral

Completed and consecrated in 1913, St. Mary Cathedral has been the cathedral of the Diocese of Lansing since its establishment in 1937. This is the third church building used by the Roman Catholic parish since the 1860's. (Although Lansing’s Cat...

Read on...

The Lansing Ward History Project: 4th Ward
Posted on: August 23, 2018

The Michigan School for the Blind by Sarah Spohn

Location: 1141 N. Pine

Ward: 4

Resident Historian: Sarah Spohn

The Michigan School for the Blind (MSB) was a public school, on the Northwest side of Lansing, near Old Town. Before the state of Michigan bought the buildings in 1879, the 715 West Will...

Read on...

The Lansing Ward History Project: 4th Ward
Posted on: August 15, 2018

First State Capitol in Lansing by Carol Skillings

Location: on South Washington Avenue between Allegan and Washtenaw

Ward: 4

Resident Historian: Carol Skillings

Lansing became the capital city of Michigan in 1847 after selection by the state legislature.  The state’s first constitution prescribed t...

Read on...

The Lansing Ward History Project: 4th Ward